Sake-Grilled Peaches & Backyard Ice Cream
Feature Recipe – July 2017
Serves: 10 (as a side)
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
- 5 firm, ripe peaches
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup Sake or Mirin or Plum wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup oil
- Quarter peaches and remove pit.
- Toss with other ingredients, cover and set for one hour
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 1 1/2 gallon cream
- 1 lb. sugar
- 15 egg yolks
- 10 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean – cut bean lengthwise and scoop out inside into egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Rubber spatula
- Fine strainer
- Double broiler
- Ice cream maker
- Heat milk and creanm in sauce pot, bring to a simmer.
- In stainless, kitchen bowl, briskly whisk eggs, sugar, bean, salt to pale ribbons.
- Temper eggs by whisking in one cup at a time of hot cream.
- Return mix back to pot on medium high stirring bottom constantly with rubber spatula.
- As mixture begins to thicken, watch closely. When mixture is thick enough to coat a wooden spoon, strain immediately into a double broiler. Continue stirring until cream anglaise is cool. Cover and refrigerate.
- To make ice cream, follow directions on your ice cream maker.
- Peaches may be grilled and served warm over ice cream.
- Use melted ice cream as a sauce over warm grilled peaches.
- Grill and chill peaches and fold into ice cream at last minute.
- Reduce peach marinade to a syrup and use as a sauce or flavoring for ice creams.