Tomato & Red Onion Salad
Serves: 10 guests Prep time: 10 minutes
- 5 beefsteak tomatoes – cut in 6 wedges
- 1/2 medium red onion – short julienne cut, 1/2” wide
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste (add salt just prior to serving)
Use balsamic instead of red wine vinegar.
Add scallions or chives, mix in dollop of Dijon mustard.
- To prepare the dressing, in a small bowl, whish the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, basil and thyme.
- Drizzle with the dressing; toss to coat.
- Refrigerate, covered, tossing once, until the flavors are blended, at least 1 hour.